23 Sep 2020
3 Abnormal forms of vaginal discharge
Normal vaginal discharge seems to be odorless clear secretions; so any other form could be a sign for medical issue. Through this topic we will highlight the most significant abnormal forms of vaginal discharge.
- White vaginal discharge: it's commonly an indication for two cases:
- Ovulation: during ovulation time, clear vaginal secretions become thicker and white in color by the effect of hormones.
- Candidiasis: it is local fungal infection which is manifested with; cheese-like white secretions, itching and burning sensation. It's treated mainly by local and systemic antifungal drugs.
- Grayish vaginal discharge: it is caused by bacterial vaginosis, which is manifested with foul-smelling grayish discharge. This form of discharge tends to be more prominent before and after menstruation as well as after intercourse. Management plan consists mainly of local and systemic antibiotics.
- Greenish-yellow vaginal discharge: it seems to be a sign for trichomoniasis, which is sexually transmitted infection, and is manifested with; frothy greenish-yellow secretions, itching, burning sensation, local redness and sometimes dysuria. Treatment of trichomonas vaginalis includes antibiotics just as in bacterial vaginosis.