6 Tips to reduce the risk of kidney stones
Kidney stones are very common health condition; it may lead to serious complications such as nephritis or renal failure. Through this topic we will highlight the most important tips that will be helpful in reducing the risk of formation of kidney stones.
- Drinking plenty of fluids: when we don't drink enough fluids; urine output will be decreased, which in turn increases urine concentration. Increased urine concentration increases the incidence of developing of kidney stones.
- Avoiding sodium-rich foods: increased levels of sodium in our body leads to increase of calcium in urine and formation of calcium stones. So, it's advised to avoid salty foods, fast food, canned and processed foods.
- Avoiding fructose: medical studies showed that increased levels of fructose increases the incidence of formation of kidney stones. Upon this fact, processed foods should be avoided as it is rich in fructose.
- Eating citrus fruits: regular intake of citrus fruits such as orange and lemon is very effective in prevention of kidney stones.
- Eating calcium-rich foods: most people think calcium intake could be responsible for kidney stones; it's totally wrong. In fact, calcium intake could be helpful in protection against kidney stones, especially oxalate stones which is the most common form of kidney stones.
- Maintain body weight within normal values: this because obesity is a common predisposing factor for kidney stones.