How to manage ankle injuries
Ankle injuries are very common (especially among children); it develops due to exposure to direct trauma to the ankle as in falling or playing sports… etc.
Most cases of ankle injuries tend to be mild and treated at home by rest and application of ice packs. Generally, to know whether ankle injuries require medical attention or not; you should know the following warning signs:
- Marked ankle swelling.
- Marked ankle tenderness.
- Inability to walk.
- Inability to put weight over the ankle.
- Significant bluish discoloration of skin.
- Displacement of bones.
- Severe pain not resolved by analgesics.
- Numbness or tingling.
- Open wound.
These above mentioned clinical signs could be an indication for serious ankle injury, which may require surgical intervention or just minor procedure.
On the other side, to avoid ankle injuries, you should do the following tips:
- Wearing appropriate shoes.
- Strengthening the muscles and tendons of ankle.
- Increasing intake of foods rich in proteins, calcium and vitamin D.
- Drinking plenty of fluids.
- Warming up before exercise.
- Getting enough rest.